Storage Guide for College Students
July 13th, 2021
Summer Self Storage Guide for College Students
If you’re a college student who has been living in either a dorm, an apartment or a sorority or frat house, you may be preparing to go home for the summer. Maybe your summer plans include study abroad or an internship in another city. Possibly, you are just hanging out at home with family and friends. Whatever your summer holds, if you’re leaving campus temporarily, you’re going to need a safe, secure self storage facility for your belongings.
Lakeville Dodd Storage is a great place to store your items. Before you rush out to lease summer self storage, we have some tips and tricks that will help you save time, money, and your parent’s sanity. Reach out to our professional office managers at Lakeville Dodd Storage to discuss any questions you may have.
Why Do You Need Summer Self Storage?
As you’ve noticed by now, at the end of every semester you somehow have more belongings than you started with. Every summer it ends up in your parent’s garage or basement on top of their already extensive collection of non-essential junk. Summer self storage at Lakeville Dodd Storage can easily solve this problem. They also sell moving boxes and moving supplies right there in the rental office, they can offer you a truck to rent too!
- Space: This is a big one. Dorm rooms are cramped. It’s great to have a place to store extra books and off-season clothing, not to mention any other strange things you may have accumulated.
- Flexibility: Most self storage facilities like Lakeville Dodd Storage offer flexible month-to-month leasing. You’ll be able to rent on your schedule without the hassle of a long-term commitment. Lakeville Dodd Storage offers Month to Month leases!
- Travel or Study Abroad: The opportunity to travel or study in a foreign country is incredible, but what about the stuff? Instead of packing everything up and moving it home, consider renting a storage unit. Self storage at Lakeville Dodd Storage has enough space to accommodate all of your dorm contents.
- Internships Depending on the length and location of the internship, it might not be worth it to lug all of your belongings home. It’s easier to store your items and have everything waiting for your return.
- Security: Anything that you don’t use regularly will be far more secure in a safely locked storage unit than in your apartment or the trunk of your car. Storing furniture and valuables at a Lakeville Dodd Storage provides a level of safety not found in a locked apartment that is abandoned until school starts again.
- Savings: Depending on the length of your drive, the cost of gas along with the cost of a truck can be expensive. Add the inconvenience of packing and unpacking, and self storage is not only easier, but far more cost effective.
Are There Ways to Save Money on Summer Self Storage?
Expenses are always a concern when you’re paying for a college education. Nevertheless, there are ways to save on self storage.
- Plan Early: Reach out to Lakeville Dodd Storage with Mayflower Properties as soon as possible to get the cheapest prices and the perfect size for your needs. The smallest sizes go quickly, and you don’t want to waste money on unnecessary space.
- Declutter: Before you put anything into storage, declutter. Don’t keep useless items. Less stuff means less storage, and that means more money saved.
- Avoid Hiring Movers: If you’re storing large amounts of furniture, movers might be easier. This likely isn’t necessary as a college or university student. While it does take more time, using your own vehicle (or finding friends with trucks) can help save significant money.
- Use a Storage Calculator: Use a storage unit size calculator so that you don’t overestimate your needs. If you need help you may reach out to Lakeville Dodd Storage for expert advice.
What Size Storage Unit Fits Your Needs?
You probably won’t need anything larger than a 5 x 5 or 5 x 10 unit. Keep in mind that these units go the quickest for summer storage at Lakeville Dodd Storage.To give you a better idea of what you may need, here are some examples.
- 5 x 5 – The size of a small walk-in closet. Can hold small furniture, boxes, clothes, small electronics.
- 5 x 10 – The size of a larger walk-in closet. Can hold furniture, mattresses, boxes, small appliances/electronics.
- 10 x 10 – The size of a small bedroom. Can hold the complete furnishings of a one bedroom apartment (Aka boxes, appliances, furniture, etc.).
- 10 x 15 – The size of a small garage. Can hold the furnishings of a two bedroom apartment (including major appliances.).
What Should I Look for When I Choose a Self Storage Facility?
Above all, look for a safe, reliable facility with plenty of security features. Lakeville Dodd Storage offers keypad entry, 24/7 cameras & a coded gate entry.
- A facility in a safe, convenient location
- A clean and well-maintained facility
- Well lit property
- Perimeter fencing
- Gates equipped with electronic access
- Twenty-four hour video surveillance
- On site and/or resident managers
- A disc or cylinder lock that is resistant to tampering
- Do Not share gate access code with friends
If you’re not staying on campus for the summer, locating a safe, affordable place to store your belongings is far more convenient than taking them home. Your ultimate, cost effective solution that Lakeville Dodd Storage in Lakeville, MN can offer you but we offer many other locations in the state of Minnesota we can accommodate you at. You can enjoy the summer knowing that your valuables are protected and secure and will be waiting for you when you return to campus for the fall semester. Don’t forget to stop by and pick up your moving supplies, boxes and reserve your rental truck!
Mayflower Properties, LLC: Town Centre Self Storage, Eagan MN. Tonka Self Storage, Long Lake MN. U-Save Park Self Storage, Saint Louis Park MN. Gopher Mini and Outside Storage, Lakeville MN. New Hope Storage, New Hope MN. Knollwood Self Storage, Saint Louis Park MN. Lakeville Dodd Storage, Lakeville MN, Coon Rapids Storage, Coon Rapids MN. Highway 8 Self Storage, Shafer MN. Airlake Self Storage, Lakeville MN
how to move quickly